The power to create a world, solely from the words written by your own mind, is a gift that should never be hidden.

Saturday 19 November 2011

I have made a mistake, again...

OK, so it isn't really a mistake, but in a way, it still is. See, I have a decent following on twitter. I am by no means overwhelmed, but I have 500 plus. To some this is a big number, to others, no so much. The problem I am facing here is...they are all writers and authors! I intentionally surrounded myself with them to help me learn my craft. To polish my rough edges, and show me the ins and outs of the business I had willingly thrust myself into. Now I sit here, no longer new to the business. I am not a well paid author, yet, nor do I have a throng of adoring fans beating a path to my door for an autograph...I have a following of like minded people, looking for the same thing I am, with similar goals and frustrations.

Why is that a problem you ask?

WELL...writers rarely buy books. *GASP* how dare I say that?!? Of course they buy books! You yell at me through your monitor. Well, yes...they do, but the odds are they are not going to go out of their way to buy my book. Or any of the other 499 peoples books on my feed. It is just too many, and I totally understand that. An author wants to help others, but ultimately, they want to help themselves first.

Even I am guilty of that...

So how does one break out of the trap that is created solely by surrounding yourself with other authors?
Got me...
I am racking my brain trying to think of ways to get my name out there. I have short stories up for sale on Amazon, they are selling, but not amazingly so. I try to push my links on twitter now and again, but I know how frustrating that can be to other authors and as a general rule, they are wasted words, they fall on deaf and tired ears. Who doesn't have a book for sale?

So I ask you all, my faithful readers...How do I find that group, that person, anyone, who will pick up my torch and wave it in front of the masses saying.
Here he is! Look at him, read his stories and bask in the wit and humour he has set to paper. (or e-ink, whatever)
Where is my torch bearer? How do I find him...(or her) I know they are out there, waiting for me. How do I connect with the people that are purely readers, who pick up a book they love, stand on top of the tallest mountain and shout to the world. READ THIS!

No comments:

Post a Comment